Saturday, January 16, 2016

Jambo, Karibo and Greetings form Team Tanzania!

Hope all is well with our followers J I wanted to first apologize for our absence yesterday – Our internet was a little unreliable but hey TIA (this is Africa – our newly coined term). We have safely arrived in Amsterdam and are waiting for our connecting flight back to the US. We wanted to include everyone’s thoughts about our trip – what they thought, what they experienced and overall what they felt throughout our journey in Tanzania. Enjoy!

I really do not know how to summarize my journey through Africa. It was an experience I will never forget. Prior to arriving in Africa, my expectations were minimal and I was just excited to go! At first, I did not realize the impact I would have, but slowly I begin to realize this. Through welcome juice and Swahili phrases the Tanzanian people greeted us with smiles and hope in their eyes. I learned that giving a person ibuprofen for ten days to remove their pain, meant more to them then anything else for that day. I learned through stories about their history and culture, what makes Tanzanians people strong! –Ashley

It is difficult to describe this trip in a few short sentences.  It was emotional, inspiring, humbling, exciting and at times uncomfortable.  It was full of surprises.  I cannot believe how much I learned on this journey.  I gained valuable clinical experience, diagnosing and developing a plan of care with limited resources.  I learned about Tanzanian culture and history, especially about the Chagga and Masai tribes.  I have even learned some Swahili!  J  Tanzania will leave a lasting impression on me and its people will always have a place in my heart.
Until next time… Cindy

Reflecting back on my trip, I am overcome with many different emotions, as there were times of trial but also excitement. This trip has allowed me to not only better myself as an individual but has helped me to better understand others and their culture. The time that I was able to spend with the Tanzanian people (both adults and children) gave me forever lasting memories. The virtue of patience grew stronger for me on this trip and made me realize that nothing in life is a race. As one Tanzanian man said, “pole, pole” which means “slowly, slowly” in Swahili, I took a moment to reflect on how fast paced my life is and things I can do to slow it down and cherish the time I have. This trip has been a life changing experience for me and I will forever cherish the memories I have created and the things that I have learned! – Lauren


It is almost unbelievable that our trip has come to an end. We anticipated this adventure for the past 8 months (some even more) and didn’t know what to expect until we got there. I fell in love with the people and the culture immediately. There were ups and downs throughout the trip but it really felt like we were making a difference for the natives and that feeling is indescribable. While changing lives we also got to explore and enjoy the beauty of Africa by traveling to multiple different areas. I think the most important thing I have learned during this trip is to enjoy the simple things in life and don’t take a thing for granted. Many people in this country live with much less and still find a reason to be happy each and every day. I was inspired and humbled countless times. I only hope to come back to Tanzania one day and continue the work that Hope Without Borders has started. –Jenna

This was truly an experience of a lifetime.  As being the only eye doctor on the trip, it made me realize how lucky I am to be in a profession that I can see immediately the fruits of my labor.  At the end of a couple clinic days, when we all as a group talked about our experience and what we thought was the ‘best moment’, many times it was someone witnessing a patient seeing well for the first time.  I think I take for granted that instant reaction that I see when I give out glasses – the reaction is universal- that first look of confusion, and then the big smile as the patient takes in their surroundings.  I am lucky that I get to witness that reaction almost on a daily basis.  I hope all the other nurses, NPs and other students that were on the trip, realize how important it is what they do.  The unfortunate thing is that they don’t get to see that look of gratitude, that realization that the patient, child or whoever it is, is going to be OK because their medication is working.  That smile from their patient comes, most likely, a few days after they start a medication that they were given.  So even though you nurses may not see it, the gratitude is for sure there.  So thank you for all the hard work and fun during this last week!!  - Sue

This was my second time to Africa, but my first time to Tanzania.  My first visit was to Kenya and I came as a student; now to experience Africa as a professional was amazing.  I had the opportunity to mentor students and share with them my experiences as a prior student.  Also, when it came to treating patients I was prepared for the cultural change and challenges.  I love Africa, the people, the culture, and the intensity of the medical camps.  We may only be in Africa for a week or so, but Africa is always in my heart.  – Suzanne

Words cannot give justice to the sights, smells, thoughts, feelings I experienced on this Global Perspective Trip to Tanzania.  I was so blessed to be able to go on this trip, meet and treat some of the patients that we saw in Tanzania and absorb so much wisdom from those I met.  The daily lifestyle of the majority of people is so vastly different from my day-to-day activity.  Getting water and going to market up to 3 times a day is just one vast difference.  As others I .m sure have shared, I will this twice before I take anything for granted, including a clean glass of cold water on a hot day.     Asante, Joan Bennett

This was an amazing experience! The whole impact of this trip will probably take sometime to set in. I am grateful for this opportunity to travel, explore a new culture with my school mates  and learning a little something new about my self along the way. If anyone reading this has an opportunity to take this trip thye should most certainly do it. Slava.

Upon reflection of this trip, I am even more grateful for what I have been given in my life, along with what I have worked so hard for to have a good quality of life. After our last day viewing a traditional African tribe, I am so thankful that I am able to do what I want, be who I want to be in America (a future nurse practitioner), and have so many freedoms that Tanzanians could never imagine. I am forever changed, and will come back soon! It has humbled me so much, and I will think about this each and every day. I've officially caught the international travel bug! –Sara


I am so thankful for such an amazing experience. Tanzania has opened my eyes, touched my heart and inspired me to continue to help those who are less fortunate. I’ve learned so much on this trip from those in Africa and the very talented Doctors , NP’s, and Nurses. This experience has truly changed me as a person and I can’t wait to plan my next trip, I'll be back very soon Africa! =]  – Brittney

With Love and Hope –

Team Tanzania

No comments:

Post a Comment